Sunday, January 10, 2010

Couscous Pudding

Today has been one of those days. The night was awful - punctuated with toddler nightmares and hours of soothing. You wake tired. The kid is tired. Everyone is working on a shortened fuse. But, hey, as the adult you need to be all smiles and patience. And it works ... until it doesn't and you are in the closet in the fetal position begging the good Lord to give you one child-free day, followed by an evening in a restaurant, and a morning that doesn't start until 7:30. I'm not greedy.


But we still need to eat, don't we. No rest for the wicked ... the tired ... the huddled mass of motherhood yearning to breathe free.

Couscous pudding: a recipe I make again and again for Sam. You soak couscous in milk and add some brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla extract, golden raisins and yogurt. I opted here for the Trader Joe's mixed dried berry pack of cranberries, cherries, golden raisins, and blueberries, instead of the singular golden raisins. It is quite delicious. I even made up a simple ditty to go along with consuming it. Sam picked it up so that whenever I say, "Shall we have some couscous pudding?" he starts in with his quasi-humming.

I usually serve a heaping bowl, well ramekin, of the stuff so that when Sam cannot finish it, I'm like, "Oh, well. I can't let it go to waste, can I?" This could be a dessert, actually.

Speaking of which, I quite like yogurt with dried fruit and honey as dessert. I got turned onto this concoction when I was on a detox diet. Relax. It wasn't drug detox or anything, just standard imbibing-eating meat-breathing pollution detox. I highly recommend it - the dessert, that is. Of course, full fat yogurt tastes best, but you can make it work with fat free, or better, 2% Greek. Yum. Those Greeks know their yogurt. My favorite fruit to include is apricots. Oh, toasted almonds sprinkled on top aren't bad either.

No comments:

Post a Comment