Thursday, May 27, 2010

Barbecuing in the Rain

Or should I say a thunderstorm ... because that's what it actually was. We don't get a ton of those in these parts, but, by gum, I decided to bust out the barbecue during one. The coals were just ready when it really started to pour. I was able to move my operation under cover and not burn the house down. Nice.

Why is barbecuing associated with men? It's funny, really. If I do the cooking, it also stands to reason that I do the 'cuing. Somehow, if we add a real fire, the outdoors, and, presumably, meat, we add men to the picture? Hm.

Not that men don't cook and barbecue, of course. My dad certainly does both.
This is what the sky looked like.
And this is what I made. Zucchini and red potatoes in a mustard-rosemary "sauce".
And pork tenderloin. It marinated for two days. This was a good thing.

Marinade:
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup sesame oil
1-2tsp. honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
2T Sherry
8 garlic cloves, minced
4-8 green onions, sliced thin
2-4T sesame seeds, toasted

This is one of my dad's recipes. I think he made it up. I've used it several times and like it a lot. I'm thinking of tweaking the sugar:honey ratio. I usually use fewer green onions, too, since I don't much like them although I do enjoy the onion essence they lend to the marinade.

No comments:

Post a Comment